Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Home Sweet Home


MAX IS HOME!!!!!

Once again, I’m sorry about the late update. This time I’ve really got a wonderful excuse. I’ll get to that in a minute. First, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has been following us on this journey. Your support and your kind words have been much needed and much appreciated. This past year has been the most important year of my life. I’ve learned so much from this experience and have a new sense of peace and satisfaction with life that I could not have otherwise known had I not gone down this path to my son. I now know why this year was such a struggle and I see it for what it is, a blessing. Max was with us all along. He’s been living in our hearts and our home all year. He belongs. He completes this family. I had been focusing so much this year on those that were keeping him from us, but when we returned to Russia I met the people that were fighting for him. Oksana and Ludmila went out of their way, making phone calls and writing letters knowing they didn’t have to, but they were determined to help our son. We certainly have angels among us.

Shortly after I posted my last blog update I was overcome with what we now believe was salmonella poisoning. Apparently that’s why I had been feeling so poorly the few days prior. I have never been so sick in all of my life. I called our coordinator, Oksana, crying and begging her to take me to the hospital. She told me that the last place I should go was the hospital; I would only catch something worse there and wouldn’t receive the care that I needed. It was 4am when I made that call, and there were 12 inches of snow on the ground. At 5:30am my angel, Oksana, was at our door with medicine. For the next three days I honestly thought I may never see the States again. I have never been so scared. Thankfully, Steven was there and took advantage of the bonding time with Max. Two other Americans at the hotel also got sick. So PLEASE, I can’t stress this enough, take CIPRO and electrolytes with you if you’re going to Russia. I was pretty weak for the remainder of the trip, but by the time we left I was convinced I would live. I just wanted to get Max home, and hug Fin.

Max was such a trooper on the trip home, which is pretty amazing considering he only slept 2 hours out of the 20 hours it took to get from Korea to Louisiana. When we landed in Atlanta, Max officially became a US citizen. Our flight home from Atlanta was delayed an hour and when we arrived in Shreveport dazed and sleepwalking we were greeted by our daughter and our families. It was a wonderful welcome home. After spending nearly a month in Russia, as sick as I was, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so thankful to be American as I did stepping off that plane, home at last with our family forever complete.

Max has really adapted well. He has the most laid back and easy-going attitude about everything. He rarely throws a fit and when he does I’m relieved because I know he’s acting like a typical two-year-old. He’s very bright and is speaking more and more everyday. We never have to show him how to do anything twice, he figures things out amazingly fast and he even picks up his toys!! I don’t think the house has ever been so clean. He LOVES to eat unless its broccoli. Whenever the phone rings, Max calls out “Ello? Ello? Ello?.” Fin has been the most amazing sister. I really expected her to have a harder time with the changes, but she loves her little brother. The only complaint she has is when he plays with her toys – but he loves her toys. When she goes to school, the first thing he does is run to her room and puts on her play shoes. He spends the mornings clomping around in plastic high heels. He’s so funny. It’s hard to believe he hasn’t always been here.

As I was bringing Finley home from school the other day I looked in the rear view and saw the two most beautiful children sitting in the backseat (one of my favorite perks about being an adoptive parent is being able to brag about my gorgeous children without sounding conceited), and I realized how truly blessed I am. Steven and I have spent the past twelve years of our lives trying to build our family and as I drove my children home that day I felt the satisfaction of knowing how wonderful it feels to have succeeded in realizing our dream come true. Nothing feels better than this.

Now, for the reason this update is so late…
After arriving home, my legs ached something awful. I figured it was due to bad jetlag and lack of leg room on the plane. However, it got progressively worse and on the fourth day home I could no longer walk. After an emergency room visit and a very painful weekend I was finally diagnosed with reactive arthritis. Apparently, my immune system got so low in Russia that my body has decided to turn on itself. My sweet mother came back to help out with the kids for a week during Thanksgiving while I began my recovery. I’m expected to recover from this but am told to expect it to take 3-6 months. It’s very frustrating to finally have Max home and then get so sick, but I’d do it all over again to get him home. I’m starting to feel better and am very hopeful that I’ll be one of the lucky ones and knock this out by the New Year. Anyway, I’m sorry for the late update. I’ve been hurty. Happy, but hurty. I’m posting the videos from our trips on our next blog and I promise to have them up by Christmas. Enjoy the pictures and TAKE CIPRO if you’re heading to Russia!!

Happy Holidays!!

Sara


Max on our visit just before court.


Max with his angels Ludmila and Oksana as he was leaving the baby home.


Max's first morning with us enjoying a bowl of Kosmostars.


In our hotel room being silly.



In the snow with Dad.



Did I mention he likes shoes?



Playing with Mommy.


Walking in a Russian winter wonderland. (Our last full day in Russia)





Korea




ATLANTA!!! Just before going through customs!!


Home Sweet Home


Our family.


Steven and Sara's angels.

4 comments:

Amy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

Love you all. Moscow in 2019? :)

Mike and Heidi Lee said...

It was so good to hear from you. It sounds like a very trying month, but we are so glad that you guys are finally home as a family. We have been checking daily for the update. Congrats on being HOME!

Shelly and Steve said...

What a precious little boy!! I'm sorry this all took such a toll of your poor body but of course he is worth it. I will definitely take note and make sure we have Cipro with us.

Thank you for sharing your journey. I am having a very difficult time right now getting thru this wait until court. Its feeling like it will never happen, we've had so many obstacles. You give me hope.

Shelly

dgporter said...

So good to get an update on your family! Jason and I were at the VMI at the same time as you (our 1st trip) meeting our daughter. I spent most motel time in bed...so jet lagged! Congratulations! What a beautiful family.